Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
EddieNanakase
Wed Sep 05 2012, 06:00am
Registered Member #1235

Hi Eisuke and staff, I wanted to weld the coilovers on the AE86 myself. I may not be that experienced in welding but I think I'll do fine. The thing is, for the front spindles, when I cut them up, I left 40mm of tube for each one. The max coilovers seem to almost slide over (outer diameter of left over spindle tube) with a couple of taps. What I need to know is if if these 40mm of tubing will actually get in the way of lowering my car?
EddieNanakase
Fri Sep 07 2012, 02:17am
Registered Member #1235

I cut 20mm off the 40mm, so now I have 20mm (about half an inch) of tube starting from the OEM weld on the spindles. I'm just going to go with 20mm. I saw the pics Dan at parts posted, but they're a little bit too dark to tell where the coilovers sit against the spindle to be welded.
Dan at MAX USA
Fri Sep 07 2012, 07:34pm

Registered Member #2

In the case of AE86, there is a bottom ring on the inside of the coilover lower mount about 1cm high. the damper cant go last that ring, and the damper also cant go past the uncut OEM strut tube so for zero compromise in lowering ability, cut the strut tibe to 1cm off the knuckle surface. The ring on the inside of the coilover lower mount is press fit on the strut tube and the welding surface is on the knuckle & bottom edge of the coilover lower mount.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF