Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
Dan at MAX USA
Fri Jan 16 2009, 02:29am

Registered Member #2

We have a few bright ideas around here about what we'd like or how to make things better, but we dont claim to be total gurus. We want to build the parts that our customers love. We've received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback on the Parts Shop MAX Competition coilovers but we dont want to rest on our laurals. Tell us what changes / improvements / ideas you would like to see in the next generation coilover from PSM and we'll try our best to make it a reality.

Heres what we are thinking so far, please comment if youre backing this plan (or not):
1. Diameter change to be compatible with SWIFT springs, offer Swift version
2. Pillowball lower mount (in addition to the uppers)
3. Color change to diferenciate the G2 version like yellow spring, orange mounting bracket
4. Steel Mounting bracket for cost savings
5. Wider range of damping, 12 clicks (additional two softer and two harder)
6. Even lower ride height adjustability
7. Graphic label for the bottom bracket
8. Caster adjustable top mount (so that you can maintain a stronger number of threads in your tension rod and keep the wheel centered in the wheel well no matter what the caster setting is)
9. More camber built in the lower bracket with offset holes. (non slotted type holes for strength)

(thinking more long term) I wonder if there would be a following for something with a High and low speed compression / rebound damper control at a competitive price.

[ Edited Wed Jan 21 2009, 02:28am ]
Kansas_Dori
Fri Jan 16 2009, 03:41am
Registered Member #411

oooooooooooo
oni_tsuiso
Fri Jan 16 2009, 04:33pm
Registered Member #473

I like how DMAX coilovers have the cutout that tellls you how much adjustment you have left, but I guess the downside to that is you get dirt and moisture in there and its rust city.

I think offering spring choice is definitely a good idea, as some people find the 10k/8k a stiff for daily duty.
that or they can man up.

Lastly, you could offer a higher end inverted monotube, although I really dont know why one is better over the other (stance, dmax, etc.) and have a high and low speed rebound and compression adjustment.

But you really can't improve on perfection.

my .02 cents
Dan at MAX USA
Fri Jan 16 2009, 09:44pm

Registered Member #2

Thanks for your input signor tsuiso. Those features make me think about the cost/benefit balance.

I wonder if there is really a convenience or install time difference in counting threads between the locking collars and counting the dots on the edge of the slot? It seems like to do it right there should be a window that does not let in dirt and moisture. The downside is another machining operation and a window just adds expense for no really important reason other than to be different from other coilovers.

Weve tested inverted dampers and could not find any benefit. Its kind of a gimmick because it looks tougher because of the perceived shaft size difference however inverted or not the threads that bolt it to the top mount are the same size which is where a damper always breaks in the event of a crash. So in reality it is exactly the same.

Dmax sells for about $300 more than our exsisting coilovers, they have a slot in the base and inverted dampers. Are they worth the price difference?

We do sell 6KG springs now for $60. The Swift option is for those who want nothing but the best.

[ Edited Fri Jan 16 2009, 09:50pm ]
ますだ
Sat Jan 17 2009, 09:35am
Registered Member #21

cost/benefit balance=費用対効果  
自称ジャパニーズビジネスマンの私はこの言葉の意味だけわかしました。
少し英語を勉強して参加したいです。
Dan at MAX USA
Wed Jan 21 2009, 02:22am

Registered Member #2

Another idea was offset holes in the bottom bracket to start off with more camber because we always have the top plate max'd out. I'll edit the OP list with that...

Heres what we were thinking about the name and lower bracket label. Anyone feeling this?

Never Lift
Wed Jan 21 2009, 05:48am
Registered Member #9

haha i like the picture. and u can offer the gold edition or green edition and use either matt leading or me leading. thats the most important i think haha.

But seriously, i say allow for big camber adjustment especially bcause of the knuckles. Maybe engineer these to give more grip than the current ones(softer?). I am no suspension engineer but i say make something that can make the suspension nerds and haters see more legitamacy in these coilovers(some more homework before manufacuring). And definetly make the lowering capabilities even more retarded than they already are.

[ Edited Wed Jan 21 2009, 05:50am ]
Dan at MAX USA
Wed Jan 21 2009, 07:05pm

Registered Member #2

So how many negative degrees camber would you desire in the bottom bracket?

I think Eisuke is going to be on point with the damper. He is going for big adjustability on both ends of the damping spectrum and with all the spring choices if you wanted to tune them softer you certainly can.

Chances are nerds are all about shock dynos and haters knee jerk reaction is based on low prices?

[ Edited Wed Jan 21 2009, 07:05pm ]
Never Lift
Wed Jan 21 2009, 07:57pm
Registered Member #9

-5 camber is enough for anyone. basically i say make a cheap DG-5
Dan at MAX USA
Wed Jan 21 2009, 10:46pm

Registered Member #2

holy christ those are expensive, and I cant think of any reason why (manufacturing wise). I suppose you need to charge 3x as much to pay for advertising and to sponsor every team in D1. Eisuke San says Kei office was always the best coilover but he says it blows out fast.

[ Edited Wed Jan 21 2009, 10:54pm ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF