Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
Marino.
Fri Apr 08 2011, 03:34am
Registered Member #831

Just wanted to know what you guys thought about re shimming vlsds so they lock better. I herd in japan its pretty common, and i was wondering if there was actually a right way versus just throwing the biggest possible thrust shim in there.
o.g.darkdrifter
Fri Apr 08 2011, 04:29pm
Registered Member #580

I have a couple of friends that have done this. I really like it, and it's of course better than a worn out vlsd.

The bigger the shim, the more pressure, it will pretty much be fully locked with the biggest shim. There has been talk about the negatives about running too big of a shim and how much heat it will creat. My friends are running small and medium size shims and their vlsd's act more like 1.5 and 2way clutch types (they lock up just turning into parking spaces).

Of course you're still using a VLSD so eventually the fluid is going to continue to break down and not work as well, especially if you're applying more friction (heat) to it. A good welded will probably last forever in comparison, and a clutch type LSD might perform better. I haven't had much experience with a shimmed VLSD or a welded (just 2way clutch types and the stock vlsd in my Z) so I can't really comment on how they perform in comparison to what I've had a lot of seat time with.
Marino.
Mon Apr 18 2011, 03:12am
Registered Member #831

Glad to see people are actually running it. Seems like it would be a trial and error type thing to get it perfect.

What i decided to do was take the shim out which was .4mm and replace it with the biggest one they make which is 1.6 that should make it lock perfect since im not running my original one?

Problem right now is i cant get my vlsd into the car. I got j30 output shafts for my 300z diff, and one side wont go in all the way, and when compared to the 300z output shaft, the j30 is half an inch longer. So im still trying to figure out what to do. I have the j30 outputs, and the z32 outputs and axles laying around, if someone knows a way i could ghetto rig it, and make it work.
Hollywood
Tue Apr 19 2011, 04:43am
Registered Member #708

also try runnin that sludge stuff they use in tractor trailors or even the redline gear oil that is like a 90w120 my first s13 had rb20 and vlsd and with that crap it lasted two years of drifting every single day. fact!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF