Parts Shop MAX :: Forums :: MAXに質問 Ask MAX :: クレイジードリフタ―河森に質問 Ask Eisuke San and MAX staff questions
Comp. Coilover spring popping / binding / Rattling over bumps noises << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
Dan at MAX USA
Mon Jun 06 2011, 08:10pm

Registered Member #2

Comp. Coilover spring popping / binding

If we had an FAQ this would have to be number one.

Its been discussed on this forum and others & we get the occasional email but I'll post a dedicated thread for reference.

Our pillowballs are set up tighter when new than other brands. They also last way longer. So its a trade off.
The issue is that the shock wants to turn easier than the PB when it is new.
Yes its annoying but one day they simply dont make any more noise. Mine got to the point where it would only make the noise coming out of my driveway on a cold morning and then later no noise at all.

The pillowball needs a chance to break in. You need to put a lot of miles on them to break in the pilliwball.
Do not preload the spring.
To give that pillowball a chance to break in the locking collars have to be very tight, like hammer and flathead screwdriver tight. (tighter than the provided wrenches can achieve.)

Remember its not about time - its about how much steering the car sees in that time so X weeks/months of owning the coilovers may or may not be long enough for break in. The pillowballs cant sieze because they are teflon lined, its never happened before. But just know they are stiff out of the box.

When they are broken in the spring during turning will be silent.

One other noise realted issue (comp or pro version) that comes up occasionaly is if the main top nut is loose you will get a rattling noise when you go over bumps.
The cure is to tighten it with an air impact gun for 1 second
or
Hold the shock shaft in place with an allen wrench while turning the main top nut tight.
(the shock seal will spin if you simply try to tighten the nut without using one of the two above methods)

[ Edited Mon Jun 06 2011, 11:01pm ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF