Parts Shop MAX :: Forums :: MAXに質問 Ask MAX :: クレイジードリフタ―河森に質問 Ask Eisuke San and MAX staff questions
I'm a retard herp derp. (soarer suspension questions) << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: Parts Shop Max, Dan at MAX USA
Author Post
UTERUS
Mon Aug 29 2011, 08:54am
Registered Member #1098

Greetings gents, I just mashed in the latest 2011 comp coilovers in my UZZ30 Soarer and I'm mildly confused.

To set the height I adjusted the bottom bracket so that the bottom of the shock insert is just showing in the inspection hole of it, and adjusted up the preload of the spring to get the front crossmember about 60mm off the ground. To me this seems like the highest possible setting, and even with the preload up a bit, the dampers on the stiffest setting I was getting crazy amounts of tyre rub on the top of the guards. I hammered all the lips flat but I still felt that the springs were just too soft.

I'm not convinced they are 18kg/12kg, is there a chance there could be a mix up of springs and these are too light?
Short of sending them sent away for testing i'm not sure how to know what rate they are.
How do you have yours set up? Should i get the front guards tubbed for clearance?

Oh yea, not keen to go higher, just clearing up this is how they are meant to be?

Cheers,
Si.

[ Edited Mon Aug 29 2011, 09:35pm ]
prego
Mon Aug 29 2011, 08:15pm
Registered Member #769

What size tires are you running
Dan at MAX USA
Mon Aug 29 2011, 09:04pm

Registered Member #2

tire, wheel size and offset?

its really common to have to hammer stuff in the wheel well, roll fender, loose the plastic liners.

I would never preload the springs, its just bad for the damper and the ride quality.

the highest ride height is not determined by the hole. remove the lower mount, and re install it on the damper 4 full turns after you find the thread - thats the highest setting.

its easy to spot the 18KG because its 150mm long and all the other springs are 180mm long
we can caliper the spring wire diameter too to double check

[ Edited Mon Aug 29 2011, 09:13pm ]
UTERUS
Tue Aug 30 2011, 08:25am
Registered Member #1098

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick response.

On the front I have 18X9 +30 with 235/40, I think the first step would be to go down to a 225/35 for about 15mm more clearance. Inner liners are long gone, re routed the loom which got ripped out by the tyre last weekend. Guards are thoroughly loved up with a hammer.

Righto, I'll wind off the preload, measure the spring length and run my vernier over the spring.

I'm not sure if this is just because they ride nicer than i expected, but i was expecting a rather stiff ride.
I can easily get springs here, would the dampers still be happy if i put the 18kg springs in the rear and got stiffer fronts?

Or should i maybe invest in swaybars.

Thanks for the help!

[ Edited Tue Aug 30 2011, 08:34am ]
Dan at MAX USA
Tue Aug 30 2011, 06:32pm

Registered Member #2

if you were used to running 10 and 8 KG in an S-chassis and you move on to the SC 300 with 18 and 12 KG it does feel softer because the car is a tank, and the way it throws its weight, and the wheelbase is just totally different. we run 18x9.5+15 with 225 width on daves car in front and we have no rubbing problems. He picked up some adjustable (supra) swaybars from titan motorsports to tune the character of the initiation and weight transfer.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF